
Canada will impose a new round of retaliatory tariffs on U.S. goods beginning September 8, matching Washington’s latest duties dollar for dollar after Ottawa suspended trade negotiations with the United States. Prime Minister Mark Carney announced the response Saturday, a day after saying the latest U.S. action would place a 50% tariff on roughly $28 billion of Canadian goods.
The Canadian government has not yet published the full product schedule, tariff lines or implementation rules for the September measures. Carney said the response will be concentrated in steel, dairy, appliances, agricultural equipment, pulp and paper, and electronics, with further details due in the coming days. That leaves importers and manufacturers with a little more than two weeks to assess the measures once the final list is released.
Ottawa targets six broad sectors
In remarks in Ottawa on Saturday, Carney said the new Canadian tariffs would match Washington’s latest measures dollar for dollar. He also said the response would include products affected by U.S. Section 232 and Section 338 tariffs. The duties are scheduled to take effect on the Tuesday after Labour Day, which falls on September 8 this year.
The announcement sets the broad direction of the retaliation but stops short of specifying which U.S. products will be covered or the exact tariff rate attached to each item. That distinction matters because Canada already maintains counter-tariffs on U.S. steel, aluminum and automobiles from earlier stages of the trade dispute. Until the new schedule is published, it is not clear how the September measures will interact with those existing duties.
Carney acknowledged that the retaliation carries domestic costs. He said tariffs can raise prices and reduce choice for Canadians, even as the government argues that matching U.S. measures is necessary to protect domestic industries from competing American products entering the Canadian market. The government also plans additional support for workers and businesses, building on nearly $25 billion in measures introduced over the previous 18 months, according to the prime minister’s August 21 statement.
The timing gives Ottawa a short window to publish the tariff list and any accompanying relief rules before collection begins. Previous Canadian countermeasures have included remission processes for certain businesses and inputs, but the government has not yet said whether the September 8 package will use the same approach. Until those details are released, it is not clear whether existing relief arrangements will carry over to newly listed products.
Trade talks collapse as U.S. 50% duties take effect
The retaliation follows the collapse of another round of Canada-U.S. negotiations. Carney said Friday that he had suspended the talks and ordered Canadian negotiators back to Ottawa after the United States introduced last-minute terms that his government considered uneconomic and unfair. In Saturday’s remarks, he said Canada had been willing to remove its remaining retaliatory tariffs on strategic sectors such as steel, aluminum and autos if Washington substantially reduced its own duties.
Instead, the latest U.S. tariffs took effect at 12:01 a.m. Eastern time on August 22. A White House proclamation had temporarily delayed the effective date of three Section 338 tariff actions by three days, moving it from August 19 to August 22 while negotiations continued. Those actions impose additional 50% duties on selected Canadian imports tied to disputes over alcoholic beverages, dairy and motor vehicles.
The U.S. measures sit alongside other tariffs already affecting strategic Canadian exports. Ottawa has repeatedly argued that several of those duties conflict with commitments under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement, while the Trump administration says its actions are intended to address what it describes as discriminatory Canadian trade practices. The two governments therefore disagree not only over tariff levels, but also over the trade rules and policy measures that each side considers legitimate.
The latest breakdown also reverses a brief period of optimism. On August 18, Carney said substantial progress had been made and confirmed that Washington had postponed the Section 338 tariffs until the end of August 21 to allow talks to continue. Three days later, he said the negotiations no longer met Canada’s objectives and that Ottawa would respond with matching tariffs.
Final product list will determine the business impact
Canada is not starting this round of retaliation from a blank slate. Department of Finance material prepared earlier this year said existing counter-tariffs remained on U.S. steel, aluminum and automobile imports covering about $51.4 billion in annual trade. Most of the broader counter-tariffs introduced in March 2025 had been removed the following September, leaving the measures concentrated in sectors where U.S. tariffs remained in place.
That history makes the coming product schedule especially important. A broad list of finished consumer products would affect retailers and household prices differently from a list focused on industrial inputs, machinery or intermediate goods. Agricultural equipment, appliances and electronics can also span many tariff classifications, so the sector labels announced Saturday are not enough for businesses to calculate their exposure.
Cross-border trade remains large despite more than a year of tariff disputes. Statistics Canada reported that imports from the United States reached a record in June 2026, while exports to the U.S. rose for a fifth consecutive month. Canada’s merchandise trade surplus with the United States narrowed to $10.0 billion that month, underscoring how closely the two economies remain linked even as both governments add trade barriers.
For now, the key unresolved details are the product-by-product list, the rates applied to those products, and any exemptions or remission process Ottawa may provide. The government has said it will publish those details in the coming days. Unless the policy changes before then, the new Canadian counter-tariffs are scheduled to begin September 8.
Latest News
View all news- SuperiorMed and Nasdaq SPAC Starry Sea Sign Business-Combination Agreement
- OBOOK Holdings Reports First-Half 2026 Results as Stablecoin Payments Business Expands
- U.S. Prepares New Iran Sanctions as Strait of Hormuz Disruption Keeps Oil Risks Elevated
- U.S. 50% Tariffs on About $20 Billion of Canadian Goods Take Effect After Trade Talks Fail
- Japan Eyes 3.8% Interest-Rate Assumption for FY2027 Government Debt-Servicing Costs