U.S. 50% Tariffs on About $20 Billion of Canadian Goods Take Effect After Trade Talks Fail

The duties cover selected Canadian products, including goods otherwise eligible for USMCA treatment, while Ottawa plans dollar-for-dollar retaliation.

Ken Stephens
Written by Ken Stephens
Published
Share

The United States imposed additional 50% tariffs on nearly $20 billion of Canadian imports early Saturday after a last round of negotiations failed to produce a broader trade agreement, opening a new front in the dispute between Washington and Ottawa. Canada said the U.S. measures cover roughly C$28 billion of its goods and announced that it will answer with dollar-for-dollar tariffs of its own.

The duties were created in three presidential proclamations signed on July 20 under Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930. They had initially been due to start on August 19, but Canada said Washington agreed to postpone implementation until the end of August 21 while negotiators tried to reach a deal. Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended the talks late Friday, saying last-minute changes in the U.S. proposal made the agreement unacceptable to Canada.

The new action is not a blanket 50% tariff on all Canadian imports. It targets selected products linked to U.S. complaints over Canadian treatment of American motor vehicles, alcoholic beverages and dairy products. The U.S. measures also sit alongside other tariffs already affecting major Canadian sectors, including steel, aluminum and autos.

Section 338 tariffs reach goods normally covered by USMCA

The White House said in its July fact sheet that the three Section 338 proclamations cover Canadian goods ranging from wine and hockey sticks to cement. Unlike several earlier U.S. tariff measures, the new duties apply to covered products even when they qualify for preferential treatment under the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement.

Washington carved out several categories. Energy, potash, products already subject to Section 232 tariffs and certain other goods, including fish and critical minerals, are excluded from the Section 338 action. The proclamations describe the 50% rate as an additional duty, meaning it is added to other applicable duties, taxes and charges unless an exclusion in the measures applies.

The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative described the package when it was announced as covering nearly $20 billion of imports from Canada. Ottawa’s figure of roughly C$28 billion is stated in Canadian dollars. The two governments therefore describe the affected trade in different currencies, but both characterize the measure as a targeted slice of the much larger bilateral relationship rather than a tariff on every Canadian shipment entering the United States.

Section 338 allows the president to impose additional duties of up to 50% when a foreign country is found to discriminate against U.S. commerce or impose unequal treatment that disadvantages American trade. The Trump administration invoked the law separately for motor vehicles, alcohol and dairy. In its public explanation, Washington argued that Canada had disadvantaged U.S. auto exports, limited the position of American dairy products relative to some foreign competitors and restricted sales of U.S. alcohol.

Those findings are disputed by Canada, which has characterized the U.S. actions as unjustified and inconsistent with the two countries’ trade commitments. The disagreement matters because the Section 338 duties expressly reach covered USMCA-origin goods, weakening the practical value of preferential treatment for the products on the new lists even though the broader agreement remains in force.

Negotiations moved close to a deal before breaking down

Canada said on August 18 that substantial progress had been made and that the United States had agreed to delay the new tariffs for three days. That extension created a short window for negotiators to work on both the Section 338 measures and larger sectoral disputes that have weighed on trade since 2025.

Carney later said Canada was prepared to remove its remaining retaliatory tariffs on steel, aluminum and autos if the United States substantially lowered its tariffs on those sectors to levels that would make exports commercially viable for Canadian producers. Ottawa was also willing to encourage provinces to put U.S. alcohol back on store shelves and to take administrative steps related to supply management without changing the system itself, U.S. quotas or the tariffs that would apply.

Those concessions did not produce an agreement. In remarks on Saturday, Carney said the United States introduced new terms late in the process that Canada considered uneconomic and unfair, and that the cumulative demands went beyond what Ottawa was prepared to accept. He said the two sides had appeared earlier in the week to be moving toward a mutually beneficial accord before the talks deteriorated.

The Canadian account places the breakdown on the final U.S. demands, while Washington’s stated rationale for the tariffs is that Canadian policies have discriminated against American producers. Those positions leave the two governments far apart not only on tariff rates but also on the underlying question of which side is departing from the rules and expectations that have governed North American trade.

The failed talks also mean the new 50% duties are arriving without relief on several older sectoral measures. Canada had sought lower U.S. tariffs on strategic industries as part of a broader package, while the United States had tied the Section 338 actions to its complaints over autos, alcohol and dairy. Without a compromise, businesses now face the new product-specific tariffs in addition to the unresolved disputes that were already shaping sourcing, pricing and investment decisions.

Canada plans dollar-for-dollar retaliation in September

Ottawa is preparing another round of countermeasures rather than immediately restarting negotiations. Carney said Canada will match Washington’s new tariffs dollar for dollar, with the response concentrated in sectors including steel, dairy, appliances, agricultural equipment, pulp and paper, and electronics. The government said the new Canadian measures will also include products connected to the U.S. Section 232 and Section 338 actions.

Detailed tariff lists have not yet been released. Carney said the measures will take effect on the Tuesday after Labour Day, giving importers and businesses a short period to assess which U.S. goods will be caught and how large the additional costs could be. Ottawa has also said it will announce further support for Canadian workers and companies affected by the trade dispute.

The economic relationship remains far larger than the latest tariff tranche. U.S. Census Bureau data show that the United States exported about $333.6 billion of goods to Canada in 2025 and imported about $381.9 billion. Through the first six months of 2026, U.S. goods exports to Canada totaled about $175.8 billion while imports were about $200.2 billion. The new Section 338 duties therefore affect only part of bilateral merchandise trade, but they reach consumer and industrial products that had not previously been subject to this specific 50% action.

The immediate next steps are on the Canadian side. Ottawa is expected to publish the detailed retaliation list before its tariffs take effect, while the U.S. duties will continue unless the Trump administration reduces, modifies or terminates the proclamations. With the negotiations suspended and no replacement agreement announced, companies trading across the border now have to plan around a higher-cost tariff regime rather than the relief both sides had been discussing earlier in the week.

Ken Stephens

About the author

Ken Stephens

Editor-in-Chief

Ken Stephens leads MarketReview’s editorial work and writes about investing, trading and the forces that shape financial markets. Drawing on decades of market experience, he focuses on testing common explanations against evidence and making complex ideas easier to evaluate.

View author profile