Canada Gets Three-Day Reprieve From New 50% U.S. Tariffs as Trade Talks Continue

A three-day U.S. suspension pushes the Section 338 duties to August 22, giving Ottawa and Washington a narrow window to negotiate over alcohol, dairy and autos.

Ken Stephens
Written by Ken Stephens
Published
Share

Canada avoided the immediate imposition of a new 50% U.S. tariff on a range of its exports after President Donald Trump postponed the duties for three days, shifting their effective date from August 19 to 12:01 a.m. Eastern time on August 22. The pause gives the two governments a narrow window to continue negotiations over U.S. complaints involving Canadian treatment of American alcoholic beverages, dairy products and motor vehicles.

The reprieve is limited. It applies to the three Section 338 tariff proclamations issued on July 20 and does not remove the separate U.S. sectoral tariffs that remain in place on products including steel, aluminum and autos. Canada has also kept its counter-tariffs on U.S. steel, aluminum and autos while negotiations continue.

In an August 18 proclamation, the White House said senior executive branch officials had reported that Canada had expressed a commitment to remove the measures the U.S. considers discriminatory. Prime Minister Mark Carney used more cautious language in a separate statement, saying substantial progress had been made but that important work remained.

Tariff deadline moves to August 22

The July 20 actions used Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930, which allows the president to impose additional duties of up to 50% when the administration determines that another country is discriminating against U.S. commerce. The U.S. Trade Representative said the three actions together covered nearly $20 billion of Canadian imports.

The tariffs were split across three proclamations dealing with alcoholic beverages, dairy and motor vehicles. The White House said the covered products ranged from wine to hockey sticks to cement, and that the additional duties would apply even when the goods qualify for preferential treatment under the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement. Energy, potash, goods already subject to Section 232 tariffs and certain other products, including fish and critical minerals, were excluded from the Section 338 measures.

The original proclamations were scheduled to take effect at 12:01 a.m. Eastern time on August 19. The new proclamation changes that effective date to August 22 and directs federal agencies to suspend collection of the additional duties as needed to implement the postponement. It also provides for refunds under normal customs procedures if duties were collected in a way that is inconsistent with the temporary suspension.

The U.S. rationale for the tariffs is tied to three separate disputes. The administration has objected to provincial restrictions on U.S. alcoholic beverages, Canadian dairy tariff-rate quota rules and Canada’s treatment of U.S. vehicle exports. In its July fact sheet, the White House said Canadian imports of U.S. alcoholic beverages fell about 81% from March 2025 through February 2026 compared with the same period a year earlier. It also said Canadian imports of U.S. motor vehicles fell about 22%, or $5.6 billion, from April 2025 through March 2026 compared with the corresponding prior-year period.

Those figures are part of the U.S. government’s case for the Section 338 actions, not an independent finding about why trade changed. Canada has disputed the broader U.S. characterization of its trade policies and has argued that several U.S. tariff measures conflict with commitments under the North American trade agreement.

Talks cover more than the new Section 338 duties

The three-day delay addresses only one layer of the trade dispute. Earlier this month, Canadian officials said they were seeking relief both from the new Section 338 tariffs and from existing U.S. sectoral tariffs, while also trying to make progress toward a modernized Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement.

That distinction matters because the August 18 proclamation does not suspend U.S. tariffs imposed under other legal authorities. Canada’s Department of Finance says Canadian counter-tariffs on U.S. steel, aluminum and autos also remain in effect because the United States continues to impose tariffs in those sectors without a CUSMA exemption. In other words, the new reprieve prevents an additional tariff layer from starting immediately, but it does not return bilateral trade to the tariff treatment that prevailed before the broader dispute began.

Carney said in his August 18 statement that Canada and the United States had been engaged in intensive discussions over recent weeks. He said substantial progress had been made and confirmed that the United States had agreed to postpone implementation of the 50% Section 338 tariff until the end of August 21, while adding that important work still had to be completed.

The negotiations are unfolding alongside the formal review of CUSMA, known as USMCA in the United States. At the July 1 joint review, the United States did not agree to renew the agreement in its current form. USTR said at the time that the agreement remains in force while the three countries continue discussions over its terms and the issues raised in the review.

That means the tariff negotiations and the trade agreement review are connected politically and economically, but they are not the same legal process. The Section 338 duties can be suspended, amended or revoked by presidential action, while changes to the North American trade agreement require a separate negotiating and review process among the parties.

Three-day pause leaves a narrow negotiating window

The White House proclamation stops short of describing a completed trade agreement. It says senior U.S. officials reported that Canada had expressed a commitment to remove the forms of discrimination or unequal treatment identified in the three July proclamations, and that the status of negotiations justified a three-day suspension in the public interest.

Canada’s public statement also does not set out final terms. It confirms progress and the postponement, but it does not specify what concessions have been agreed on in alcohol, dairy or autos, whether any commitments are conditional, or whether the broader sectoral tariff disputes have moved closer to resolution. No public text of a comprehensive settlement accompanied either government’s announcement.

The legal structure of Section 338 gives the president room to change course again. The July proclamations themselves note that Section 338 permits the president to suspend, revoke, supplement or amend an action when the public interest requires it. The August 18 order uses that authority to change the start date without cancelling the underlying tariff measures.

For Canadian exporters covered by the three proclamations, the key near-term date is therefore August 22. Unless the administration issues another action before then, the additional 50% duties are scheduled to take effect at 12:01 a.m. Eastern time that day. A further suspension, a narrower modification or a broader negotiated settlement would require another official step before the deadline.

Ken Stephens

About the author

Ken Stephens

Editor-in-Chief

Ken Stephens leads MarketReview’s editorial work and writes about investing, trading and the forces that shape financial markets. Drawing on decades of market experience, he focuses on testing common explanations against evidence and making complex ideas easier to evaluate.

View author profile